Now Playing
Power 100.1
Last Song Played
Athens #1 Hit Music Station
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Power 100.1
Last Song Played
Athens #1 Hit Music Station

news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Georgia police searching for missing 12-year-old boy

The Atlanta Police Department is looking for a 12-year-old boy who was last seen leaving his home.

 >> Read more trending news

Willie Myrick,12, had not returned to his home on Confederate Court.

His mother said Myrick left his home at 10 p.m. Friday. The boy has no reported medical or mental issues and was last seen wearing a blue polo shirt with black shorts.

Officers immediately canvassed the area, but Myrick was not located.

Officers resumed their search at 8 a.m. Saturday.

Apple investigating iPhone7 that caught fire

This is not the kind of hot smartphone Apple wants to publicize.

>> Read more trending news

The company said it is looking into an incident involving an iPhone 7 Plus that caught fire, Hollywood Life reported. Brianna Olivas, 18, from Arizona, posted video on Twitter of the device unleashing a steam of smoke.

The incident was reminiscent of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 issues, in which defective batteries caused some of those phones to catch fire.

It’s not clear what might have caused the fault. Olivas told Gizmodo that she’d only been using the official Apple charger with the phone and that she hadn’t had any trouble with the device until this week. After the device failed to switch on, she said she took it to an Apple store where employees ran diagnostic tests but found no faults.

"The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser," Olivas told Mashable. “He went to the restroom ... and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom ... as soon as he threw it in the restroom it blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone."

Olivas says she gave the phone to Apple and the company issued her a replacement device. She said that Apple representatives told her they are conducting tests and expect to know more information in a week.

So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning 🤗 was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69 — Bree✨ (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017

Ohio teen arraigned in shooting death of father

Police for about three hours Thursday searched a Hamilton, Ohio, home where a 14-year-old girl allegedly picked up a gun, loaded it and shot her father, 71-year-old James Ponder, to death.

 >> Read more trending news

The teenager was charged with aggravated murder, police said. She was arraigned in court on Friday, where she appeared with her two attorneys.

Police took 14 items from the house, according to court documents.

Seized as evidence were a book bag, an Apple iPhone, one bloody pillow, a high-power 9 mm handgun with a magazine, 9mm shell casings, one gun shooting bag, one Cobra .380 semi-automatic pistol, one soft gun case with two magazines, two tablets, a desktop computer, a spiral notebook and miscellaneous papers.

The girl called 911 on Thursday morning and told the dispatcher, “Can somebody come and put me in handcuffs? I just shot my dad.”

Photographer recalls shooting picture of captured Boston Strangler

Decades after the reign of terror by Albert DeSalvo – known as the Boston Strangler responsible for killing as many as 13 women in the 1960s – a Massachusetts photographer told the story of how he wound up crossing paths with the notorious killer in Lynn.

 >> Read more trending news

Charlie Zapolski – known to his friends as Zap – loves photography and has been snapping pictures since he was 14.

The wildlife photos he has taken in his own yard have earned him praise. One of his shots was even published in Parade magazine and seen around the world.

But 50 years ago, Zapolski got the shot of a lifetime.

It started with the police scanner in Zapolski’s house and word that DeSalvo, the escaped Boston Strangler, was in Lynn.

“(It was) just Lynn Police saying there are roadblocks set up at the Lynn-Saugus line at Ballard Street,” Zapolski said. “I said, ‘Oh, it’s only a mile from my house.’ So I went down there to check it out – just to take some pictures of the action.”

Zapolski took photos at the roadblock, before a police officer let him sit in the back of his cruiser because it was so cold outside.

That’s where Zapolski grabbed a shot of DeSalvo’s wanted poster – just before another radio call came in.

“I heard they caught him and he’s being taken down to the Lynn Police station,” said Zapolski. “And I said, ‘That’s where I’m going!’”

The old Lynn Police station is long gone now, but that’s where Zapolski pointed his camera on that frigid February day and got not one – but two – photos of the world-famous Boston Strangler.

State troopers held their rifles aloft outside the Lynn Police station as huge crowds gathered for a glimpse of DeSalvo. That’s when Zapolski got his shot.

“There was a photographer standing on a car and I shot between his legs and it just happened,” said Zapolski of the shot of DeSalvo being led away. “Sometimes you get lucky.”

Luck would soon strike again.

A moment later, Zapolski grabbed another shot of DeSalvo in a cruiser just before a police officer closed the door.

Fifty years ago it all lined up for Zapolski – he was in the right place at the right time with a camera in his hand.

For the record, Zapolski is not a professional photographer and he never worked for a news organization.

“For the passion. I didn’t do it to make money,” Zapolski said.

For Zapolski, that passion has taken him a long way since he was a teen.

DeSalvo was never a free man after Zapolski snapped those photos. He was murdered in 1973 while in prison.

Some still believe someone else was the Boston Strangler, but in 2013, DNA evidence linked DeSalvo to the murder of Mary Sullivan, the Boston Strangler’s final victim.

 

Group wants Obama to run for president in France

If a group of voters in France have their way, their country’s next president will be a man who already has executive office experience: former U.S. President Barack Obama.

>> Read more trending news

Voters circulating a petition are attempting to collect 1 million signatures by March 15 in order to persuade the former president to run for France’s highest office, Time reported.

"Barack Obama has the best resume in the world for the job," according to the site, called Obama 17. "Because at a time when France is about to vote massively for the extreme right, we can still give a lesson of democracy to the planet by electing a French President, a foreigner."

According to NBC, 27,000 people have signed the petition and signs touting Obama have been found all over Paris. One of the site's founders told NBC that he thought up the idea for the campaign with four friends "after a drink."

“It's totally crazy, but the cool thing is that once you get past that, you start thinking that maybe it's possible. Who cares that he's not French? He's Barack Obama," one of the campaign organizers told CNN.

Yes, it's a joke, said the organizer, who would only give his name as Antoine — but one with a serious purpose.

"We want to show that people are fed up with the politicians here. People are tired about it and they like this joke. It gives people a little fun amid all these scandals," he said.

French voters go to the polls April 23 in the first round of voting for a new president. If no one gets more than 50 percent of the vote, the top two finishers will have a runoff on May 7.

Polls suggest that Marine Le Pen, the leader of the far-right National Front party, will top the field in the first round, but won't get a majority, CNN reported.

Ellen DeGeneres gifts scholarships to an entire senior class

The senior class at the Summit Academy in Brooklyn, New York, received an unforgettable gift from television host Ellen DeGeneres and Walmart.  All 41 members of the graduating class at the charter school received full four-year college scholarships to any state university in New York.

>> Read more trending news

The gift, donated by Walmart, is worth $1.6 million, DeGeneres told USA Today. Walmart already had given $25,000 to the school when school leaders Natasha Campbell and Cheryl Swift first appeared on the show a few weeks ago.

Last year, 93 percent of the school’s first graduating class continued on to college, Campbell and Swift said. The school is located in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn, where only 4 percent of adults have attended college and more than 28 percent of children under 16 live in poverty, USA Today reported.

 “I really think I could do something with my life,” a Summit senior who will be the first in her family to attend college told DeGeneres on the show. “I’m not going to be a disappointment. I’m going to be somebody.”

The students reiterated the educators’ mission: for 100 percent of this year’s graduating class to attend college. That dream was realized when DeGeneres announced the scholarship gifts.

<script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&amp;version=v2.8";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script> This is one of the most incredible moments I’ve ever been a part of. An entire class getting a 4-year college scholarship. Thanks, Walmart.Posted by Ellen DeGeneres on Thursday, February 23, 2017

<iframe width="390" height="219" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tSvtMVhsRgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Witches cast mass binding spell against Trump

Before taking office as president, Donald Trump called the controversy over Russian hacking during the 2016 election “a witch hunt.”

>> Read more trending news

For some people who are disgruntled with Trump after one month in office, the witching hour has arrived.

A document making its rounds among the witch community is asking people who practice the craft to perform a monthly binding ritual until the president is removed from office, the Huffington Post reported.

In order to work, the mass spell must be performed at midnight EST on every waning crescent moon. 

The first waning crescent happened Friday and will be followed by similar spell cast events on March 26, April 24 and May 23 and beyond, the Huffington Post reported.

Michael M. Hughes, who writes about the paranormal, posted the spell at ExtraNewsFeed last week. He explained that a binding spell is different than a curse or hex.

“It’s a restraint, not harm,” Hughes told The Huffington Post. “I see it as self-defense.”

The spell instructions have gone viral, and there is a group on Facebook dedicated to answering all the questions people may have.

To perform the spell, the following must be accumulated, the Huffington Post reported: an unflattering photo of Trump; a Tower tarot card; a tiny stub of an orange candle or orange carrot; a pin or a small nail to inscribe the candle; a white candle to represent the element of fire; a small bowl of water;  a small bowl of salt, to represent elemental Earth; any kind of feather, representing the element of air; matches or a lighter; and an ashtray or a dish of sand.

Practitioners are supposed to prepare for the spell by writing “Donald J. Trump” on the orange candle stub with a pin or nail. They then arrange the other items in a circle and lean the Tower card against something so that it’s standing up.

Hughes suggests reading the 23rd Psalm aloud before beginning the spell by lighting a white candle.

Next, practitioners are supposed to burn the photo with the orange candle, chanting “So mote it be.” But Hughes said a simple “You’re fired!” also will work. The spell is completed by burying the candle stub or carrot, or discarding it in running water.

When the ceremony is over, Hughes said it’s crucial to ground yourself by laughing loud and hearty, since “Trump hates people laughing at him.” 

<script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&amp;version=v2.8";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script> We are live outside Trump Tower as witches prepare to cast a magic spell on President TrumpPosted by Daily Mail on Friday, February 24, 2017

50 years after Boston Strangler, local photographer recalls shot of a lifetime

50 years after Boston Strangler, local photographer recalls shot of a lifetime

Scammer uses credit cards to go on $100,000 shopping spree

A Georgia woman is warning others after she said a scammer used her credit cards to go on a $100,000 shopping spree.

 >> Read more trending news

Laura Godfrey said she got a call earlier this month from someone she thought was with the FBI.

She said the man claimed one of her credit cards had been compromised.

"He asked if I had this card, that card and this card and, of course, I'm thinking he's the law so I tell him what I've got," Godfrey said.

She gave the caller the numbers to five of her credit cards.

"I'm disgusted with myself because I didn't pick up on it," Godfrey said.

Within hours, the scammer went on a shopping spree, spending $6,000 at Home Depot, $1,400 at Lowes, $400 at Walgreens and $200 on an Edible Arrangement, among other charges.

The number the scammer has been disconnected.

Godfrey said most of the stores recognized the fraudulent charges and halted the transactions.

"It won't happen again, I assure you, because I'm not answering that phone unless it's somebody I know," Godfrey said.

Muhammad Ali’s son detained at Florida airport

Muhammad Ali Jr., the son of the legendary boxer and a resident of Deerfield Beach, Florida, was detained for hours at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport earlier this month after returning from Jamaica, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.

>> Read more trending news

 Ali Jr., 44, and his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, were singled out and pulled aside by customs officials on Feb. 7 due to their Arabic-sounding names, a family friend told the Courier-Journal. According to lawyer Chris Mancini, officials grilled Ali Jr. for nearly two hours with questions such as "Where did you get your name from?" and "Are you Muslim?"

Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, was let go after she showed a photo of herself with the former heavyweight champion, the Courier-Journal reported. Ali Jr., who was born in Philadelphia in 1972 and holds a U.S. passport, told the customs officials that he is a Muslim, spurring further questions.

Ali Jr. and his mother, known as Belinda Boyd when she married Ali Sr. in 1967 and then changed her name when she converted to Islam, were returning from a Black History Month event in Montego Bay, Jamaica. In response to an email from the Courier-Journal, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman wrote: "Due to the restrictions of the Privacy Act, U.S. Customs and Border Protection cannot discuss individual travelers; however, all international travelers arriving in the U.S. are subject to CBP inspection." 

Mancini said that neither Camacho-Ali nor Ali Jr., who have both traveled the world extensively, has faced detainment before. He blamed the incident on President Donald Trump's Jan. 27 executive order that banned citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries. A federal judge in Washington State blocked the government from carrying out the order earlier this month.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >