Now Playing
Power 100.1
Last Song Played
Athens #1 Hit Music Station
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Power 100.1
Last Song Played
Athens #1 Hit Music Station


200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Wreckage of World War II carrier USS Lexington found in Coral Sea

Wreckage from the aircraft carrier USS Lexington, sunk by the Japanese during the Battle of the Coral Sea in World War II, has been discovered off the Australian coast.

>> Watch the news report here

>> Read more trending news 

A team of explorers led by billionaire Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder, made the announcement Monday.

>> On Listen as crew of R/V Petrel discovers the wreckage

According to CNN, the wreckage was found in the Coral Sea by the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel.

>> Nor’easter uncovers Revolutionary War-era shipwreck in Maine

The aircraft carrier, dubbed the “Lady Lex,” was lost in May 1942, along with 216 crew members and 35 aircraft, during what historians consider the first carrier battle in history. More than 2,000 crew members were rescued.

UK supermarkets ban sales of energy drinks to people under 16 years old

Major supermarket chains in the United Kingdom will only sell energy drinks to people who are 16 or older starting Monday due to concerns about the drinks’ caffeine and sugar contents, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Grocers including Asda, Aldi, Tesco and Sainsbury’s will no longer sell drinks containing more than 150 mg of caffeine per liter to people under 16 years old, The Guardian reported

Officials with pharmacy chain Boots also announced that they would ban the sale of energy drinks to those under 16. The company is the only non-grocer to participate in the ban, according to The Guardian.

>> Related: Energy drinks pose serious and scary health risks, scientific review shows

“Helping our customers to live healthier lives has always been our core purpose,” a spokesperson for Boots said Friday in a news release. “We have listened to the growing public concern about young people consuming these high sugar and highly-caffeinated drinks.”

BBC News reported that Boots, Asda and other grocers started to implement the new rule Monday while other chains, including Aldi and Lidl, implemented it last week. Tesco officials announced that the company would no longer sell energy drinks to people under 16 years old starting March 26.

Industry labeling guidelines in the UK require companies that make soft drinks with more than 150 mg of caffeine per liter put a warning label about caffeine on their drinks, according to The Guardian. The label reads, “High caffeine content. Not recommended for children or pregnant or breastfeeding women or persons sensitive to caffeine.”

>> Related: Can caffeine kill you? Yes it can

Still, children and teenagers drink more energy drinks than adults, The Guardian reported.

The National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers campaigned for restrictions on the sale of energy drinks to children, BBC News reported.

"The very high levels of caffeine and sugar these drinks contain impact adversely on pupil behavior in schools and teachers are left to deal with the fallout,” Chris Keates, NASUWT’s general secretary, told BBC News. "There is a chronic lack of awareness about the effects and long-term health impacts of these drinks which many pupils and parents think are just another soft drink."

>> Related: Caffeine overdose kills teen after too much soda, coffee, energy drink

Medical experts, teachers and celebrity chef Jamie Oliver were among those who called for a ban of high-caffeine drinks.

"Our retailers are doing the right thing for the health of our children and now it’s time for government to step up, close the loop and implement a ban,” Oliver said. “We need a level playing field so we can protect all our kids from buying these drinks in all independent retailers.”

Putin shows Florida getting nuked in mock video to boast new weapons

Russian President Vladimir Putin showed a concept video Thursday depicting nuclear warheads being released over Florida while showing off a new rocket during his annual state-of-the-nation speech, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

The crowd gathered for Putin’s speech to the Federal Assembly applauded Thursday as the video played, showing range of the newly unveiled Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile. Putin boasted that the ICBM is fast, with a range that’s “practically unlimited,” and the ability to overcome U.S. missile defense systems,  Russian-owned news network RT reported.

A brief concept video showed the missile being launched before dropping nuclear warheads over Florida.

Technology site Gizmodo was the first to notice Putin’s use of Florida in the video.

Putin told the Federal Assembly that Russia started working to counter America’s anti-missile capabilities as early as 2004, RT reported. He noted that Russia had to develop the new ICBM, along with a handful of other new weapons unveiled Thursday, as the U.S. has developed a missile defense system that threatened to undermine the Russian nuclear deterrent and ignored Moscow's concerns about it.

"No one has listened to us," he said. "You listen to us now."

It’s not the first time America has been a target in a mock video from a foreign nation. Last April, North Korea state media posted a video to YouTube in which a digital version of San Francisco appeared to be hit by nuclear weapons, Gizmodo reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photos: Meghan Markle appears with royals Harry, Kate, William at first joint engagement

Prince Harry; Meghan Markle; Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge; and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, attended the first annual Royal Foundation Forum held at Aviva on Feb. 28, 2018, in London, England.

Kate Middleton has emotional reunion with midwife who delivered Princess Charlotte

Duchess Catherine had a happy reunion with one of the midwives who reportedly helped deliver both of her children.

>> Duchess Catherine sparks outrage by not wearing black at BAFTAs

On Tuesday, the duchess visited the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists as a royal patron when she ran into Professor Jacqueline Dunkley-Bent, who delivered her daughter, Princess Charlotte, and may have even assisted in the delivery of Prince George, according to E! News.

>> Read more trending news 

The duchess received a certificate from Professor Lesley Regan, the president of the college, during her visit and spoke with several nurses about women’s health issues, including the stigma surrounding mental health.

The day wasn’t finished after her visit to the college, as the duchess later received a warm welcome from the Nursing Now campaign. She was taken on a nurse-led tour of St. Thomas’ Hospital, where she met with several nurses and patients at the hospital.

The duchess addressed the crowd to mark the launch of the new campaign during the visit.

She said: “This campaign means a lot to me personally. My great-grandmother and grandmother were both volunteer nurses. They would have learned first-hand from working with the Voluntary Aid Detachment and the Red Cross about the care and compassion that sometimes only nurses can provide.

“Your dedication and professionalism are awe-inspiring. I have been struck today by the enormous range of responsibilities that nurses have, not only in providing access to healthcare, but also in terms of providing a holistic approach to caring for our physical and mental health. You also promote good health and disease prevention. In some parts of the world, nurses are perhaps the only qualified healthcare professionals in their communities, so your work is all the more vital.”

She continued: “I would like to congratulate and thanks all nurses everywhere on what you achieve on a daily basis. The difference you make should not go unrecognized.”

The duchess braved the weather for her day out in London, as it was a snowy day. The palace shared a few photos from the snow-covered estate Tuesday.

Clarence House, the official Twitter account for updates on Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla, also shared a photo of their snowy view.

5-year-old girl died hours after doctor turned her away for being late

A coroner’s inquest into the 2015 death of a 5-year-old British girl found that the child died just hours after a doctor refused to see her for being a few minutes late to her appointment, according to the BBC.

>> Watch the news report here

Shanice Clark has been searching for answers ever since her daughter, Ellie-May, died from bronchial asthma hours after arriving late to an appointment with Dr. Joanne Rowe and being turned away. On Monday, the coroner ruled that Grange Clinic in Newport, Wales “missed” the opportunity to “provide potentially live-saving treatment” to her child, the New York Post reported.

While the clinic has maintained that it operates under a strict “10-minute rule,” Clark insists she and her daughter were only five minutes late after arranging childcare for her infant and catching a bus. However, she claims she had to wait for a receptionist to finish a phone call and for other patients to be checked in, causing her to miss the 10-minute mark, Sky News reported. A clinic worker later indicated that she was 18 minutes late — something Clark disputes.

>> Read more trending news 

According to the coroner, the occasion was the first time the rule had been imposed in regard to an emergency appointment, and Clark was reportedly told to come back in the morning without the doctor even looking at her daughter’s medical records

“From the evidence before me, it is not possible for me to determine with certainty whether an earlier intervention would have altered the outcome for Ellie, but nonetheless Ellie should have been seen by a [doctor] that day, and she was let down by the failures in the system,” the coroner wrote, according to ITV.

Grange Clinic released a statement in response, saying, “Dr. Rowe knows that nothing can be said to Ellie-May’s family to make a difference, but she would like to say how truly sorry she is.”

The Clark family responded by acknowledging the apology and by expressing disappointment “that a finding of neglect was not reached,” saying in a statement via their lawyer, “The family acknowledge an apology from Dr. Rowe, especially as they have been waiting in excess of three years for an outcome and to receive answers to their questions.”

The coroner will now write a report to the clinic and local health board aimed at addressing the incident and preventing similar tragedies in the future. In the meantime, a spokesman for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board said it would be “inappropriate to comment whilst we await the coroner’s report.”

Leicester explosion: 5 dead, 5 injured, British police say

At least five people are dead and five others injured following reports Sunday of an explosion and fire in Leicester, British police said.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities declined to speculate on the cause of the explosion, although police said Sunday that it did not appear to be related to terrorism.

Olympian Gus Kenworthy criticizes Ivanka Trump during closing ceremony

U.S. Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy had less-than-kind words for one of his fellow Americans at the closing ceremony for 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

>> PHOTOS: 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics - Closing Ceremony

“So proud of all these people!” he said after sharing a picture. “Everybody here has worked so hard to make it to the Olympics and have the opportunity to walk in the closing ceremony!”

>> See the tweet here

“Well… Everyone except Ivanka,” he continued, mentioning the first daughter. “Honestly, tf is she doing here??”

>> Read more trending news 

Ivanka Trump, President Donald Trump's daughter, led the presidential delegation in the closing ceremonies. Vice President Mike Pence appeared at the beginning of the Olympics to lead the presidential delegation in the opening ceremonies. Pence made headlines when he sat down for the Korean delegation, which included athletes from both North and South Korea.

Many criticized Kenworthy’s shot.

Others made political jokes at Ivanka Trump’s expense.

George Harrison would have been 75 Sunday

The youngest Beatle would have been 75 Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

George Harrison was the lead guitarist for the Beatles and also had a successful solo career. He was born Feb. 25, 1943, in Liverpool, United Kingdom. Harrison was the second member of the band to die, when he passed away on Nov. 29, 2001, in Los Angeles.

Harrison’s official Twitter account marked the milestone birthday with a remastered video of “Blue Jay Way,” a song the guitarist wrote for the 1967 album and movie, “Magical Mystery Tour.”

Harrison brought a guitar-playing style that would influence 1960s groups like the Byrds, and he learned how to play the sitar under the tutelage of Ravi Shankar, an Indian musician. Shankar’s influence was apparent in Harrison songs like “Within You WIthout You,” and “The Inner Light,” and also in the group’s hit “Norwegian Wood.”

Harrison’s most notable song with the group was “Something,” which appeared on the “Abbey Road” album along with “Here Comes the Sun.” Other hits included “Taxman,” and “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” along with his first composition with the band, “Don’t Bother Me.”

Harrison also made his mark on the band outside of music. He studied Transcendental Meditation with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and persuaded the other Beatles to visit the the Maharishi’s camp in India during 1968.

Harrison was the first member of the Beatles to record a solo album, releasing “Wonderwall Music” on Nov. 1, 1968. 

When he began his solo career, Harrison hit No. 1 with “My Sweet Lord” and organized a benefit called the Concert for Bangladesh, which included a surprise appearance by Bob Dylan.

Harrison ran into copyright problems with Bright Tunes, which alleged infringement of the Ronnie Mack song “He’s So Fine,” which was performed by the Chiffons. The courts ruled against Harrison and he was forced to pay royalties.

However, Harrison maintained his sense of humor, writing in his 1976 tune “This Song” that “This song, has nothing Bright about it.”

‘Notting Hill’ actress Emma Chambers dead at 53

Actress Emma Chambers, who played Hugh Grant’s younger sister in the 1999 movie “Notting Hill,” died Wednesday, her agent told CNN. She was 53.

>> Read more trending news

Her agent, John Grant, said Chambers died of natural causes. The British actress is survived by her husband, actor Ian Dunn.

“Over the years, Emma, created a wealth of characters and an immense body of work. She brought laughter and joy to many, and will be greatly missed," John Grant said.

Hugh Grant tweeted that Chambers was “a hilarious and very warm person and of course a brilliant actress.”

In addition to “Notting Hill,” Chambers starred for more than a decade as Alice Tinker in the BBC comedy “The Vicar of Dibley,” CNN reported.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >